Online gambling legality is a burning issue nowadays. Too many unresolved disputes and way too many questions are connected with the term "gambling legality".
Online casino gambling has not been always allowed by the gambling laws and even in the 21st century not all gaming activities are considered to be legal. The issue of online gambling legality is really complicated and gambling laws vary from country to country and sometimes even from state to state (e.g. like in the USA), as there are different attitudes of the local authorities towards gambling. That's why there is no clear answer whether gambling should be legal or not.
In addition to that, it is worth mentioning that most gambling laws refer to ground online casino gambling and don't cover gambling legality topics. This is the reason why even today with enormous online gambling popularity the problem of legal gambling on the Net is not solved yet. Nevertheless, there are more than 80 countries, including the United Kingdom and other members of the European Union, that have recognized the positive advantages of legal online gambling.
Pro and con of legal gambling
Being such a disputable question means that gambling legality its supporters and opponents.
There are many arguments in favor of making online gaming legal. The most popular of them are:
1) If gambling laws make gambling legal, it is going to eradicate illegal gambling.
2) People will gamble anyway, regardless of whether or not it is prohibited in the gambling laws and that the government is missing out in millions of dollars of revenue.
3) Players would definitely choose to gamble in safe casino or other online facilities approved by state as they must be regulated. State, in its turn, fairness of games and transparency of gambling processes.
4) Legalization will develop high standards of online gaming as well as casino software and provide players with greater protection.
All the above mentioned statements are sound and many people believe in every single word. However, opponents provide their contra arguments:
1) In spite of the fact that many people are gambling illegally, many citizens are not gambling at all. After being legalized, online gambling will seduce people to gamble, even those who haven't gamble even once.
2) Legal gambling is not going to eradicate illegal gambling. There are evidences that illegal gambling rate in countries with legalized online gambling is three times higher than in those with forbidden online gambling.
3) Legalized gambling can be a stimulus for illegal gambling.
The last evidence seems to be quite weird, but it has its explanations:
- Companies offering illegal online gambling frequently use free of charge legal state companies publicity, which saves money for publicity for these crime syndicates.
- A big amount of players would rather gamble illegally, as they do not need to report about won money and in this way it saves them for paying high taxes in the state treasury.
4) Legalized gambling will actually have the depraved influence on society, including each and every citizen.
Having considered all the statements, it should be pointed out that they all are sound and rely on facts. Both supporters have their right to voice their concerns connected with legalization of online gambling.
To sum up, it is worth mentioning, that society must promote spiritual values like economy and immateriality rather than envy, insatiability and greed. And local authorities throughout the world should promote social welfare, but not seduce their citizens to "quick" and "easy" ways of getting money.